Sunday, March 21, 2010

A New Season With Molly

Molly turned 13 last September & that's about age 68 in dog years. She is definitely an old girl in numbers, but she never acts it. She is full of life, runs around like a wild erratic animal & still so youthful. She had never liked loud noise. I think it came from when she was a puppy & I was playing with a balloon & she jumped on it. Of course the loud "pop" scared her & I believe scarred her for life. Ever since then I was never able to chew gum around her & especially no popping bubbles! She was scared & wanting to be next to me since I am her protector, but yet I was the source of the noise.

Then there was her fear of firecrackers. So on 4th of July & New Years, she spent under the bed.

In the last year or so thunder has been her latest cause of anxiety. Razzy doesn't like it either, so when it would thunder I would have them both by my side. Add Rocco who is always there anyway & it can be quite crowded. Haha!


A few weeks ago, I was taking some pictures in the other room, when D started yelling for me to stop. I was already concerned by the yelling, since D never raises his voice. When I went to see what was going on, I found Molly on the couch next to D, with her head buried behind him in the pillows & she was trembling so hard. We tried to calm her down, but it took a long time. But we realized the flash was causing her to be so frightened.

When this last storm that caused all of the flooding come through, Molly's fear took a whole new anxiety driven for all of us turn. She has already taken to staying under the coffee table anyway, but this was different. She was beyond terrorfied.  I have never seen her this way. She was trembling again & trying to find any small space to hide in. This went on for the 2 days that is stormed.

So ever since then we have been trying to figure all of the triggers for her. Turning lights on & off at night causes it. And even loud noises on the TV cause it. It breaks my heart for her. I do not enjoy seeing her age & her now living in fear. This is a season with Molly I am not looking forward to....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.