Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Take A Breath

For the last few days I have been dealing with a cough. If you are ever around me, you know I normally have a cough, but this one has been different. And last night my chest was beginning to hurt a bit. The Dr had prescribed me an inhaler, but I hadn't gotten it filled.

I met Anita for lunch today at Johnny Rockets, with her sweet little almost 2 yr old, Emmaline. We sat outside on the patio, since the weather was so nice. We were chatting while we ate our burgers & fries, when the nice calm day was interrupted. I got choked on a piece of lettuce. Now, you know when you normally get a little choked on something, it usually works itself out. Not this time. I was indeed choking. And I think because my lungs were already inflamed from my coughing, they completely closed! I could not get any air. I jumped from the table, trying to get some air, as Anita came around & did the Heimlich on me!!! In the midst, I thought I was dying, really....I had zero air. I felt my lungs completely close. It was pure panic. Praise the Lord for Anita! She saved me. The crazy thing was I wasn't choking anymore, but my lungs had shut. So, when Anita pushed on me, it pushed air into my lungs. It took a while for me to calm down (I'm actually still a bit shaken). And when I did, Emmaline looked at me & started to cough! Hahaha! Hysterical!
Now get this...When I began choking, there were people on the patio, including 3 soldiers. I was causing a bit of a scene, so it wasn't like people couldn't have noticed. But apparently no one did! Not one person! Needless to say I was very embarrassed, but grateful to be able to breath again.

After I got home, I grabbed my prescription & got that sucker filled. My chest/lungs & back hurt too. I guess from the stress.


I'm not sure Anita is going to be inviting me to anymore lunch dates!

5 comments:

  1. What infuriates me is the way people will NOT step out of their comfort zone, or I don't want to get involved frame of mind and help0 someone in distress. I will step out in a heart beat! I appreciate Anita for being attentive and stepping up and taking action.
    Good thing I wasn't there..I would have caused a scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are okay! Your back and chest could also hurt because Anita was squeezing you so hard. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know once when i was a kid... probably 9 or so my mom was doing some christmas shopping at kmart and she told me to go up front and get a hotdog and wait for her... well i choked... just like you described... i saw my life flash before eyes... i was paniced! people STARED at me... not one person helped me! I actually threw up! I remember thinking (even at that young age) that no one would even help me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a day. Glad you are okay. I choke on things easily- especially when I'm in need of an inhaler. I am glad you got it filled. Mine makes me jittery and shakey, but it helps me breath!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.