Thursday, April 16, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

So today was planting day. We got a later start than I wanted too, but it was all good.
Once we got out there, we had to take the wheelbarrow down my long drive-way, to get some gravel to put in the bottom of the buckets, we were planting everything in. It was quite comical, me with my back issues & Mom with her bad knees & hips! I wish someone had videoed us trying to push that wheelbarrow full of gravel up the hill. We gave up & I just brought the buckets to the wheelbarrow. Then we "tried" to dig some dirt! That went over well. Next thing I know we are headed to the store to buy some. Hahaha! We were supposed to just go to the bank & Walmart. Rocco came along for the ride, since he is the best 'Bye-Bye Buddy.' Well, after the bank, I can't pass a Sonic without stopping for a Route 44 Lemon Slushie, plus it was Happy Hour, so they were 99 cents! We realized while there, we were hungry & ate off the $1 menu. Now that is some good food. We both ate for $6. Then while eating, Mom decides she wants to cook Danny a hamburger for supper. And we are going to go to the grocery store across the street for "only" a pack of hamburger meat. So, Rocco & I sit in the car waiting & waiting. She eventually comes strolling out with a buggie full of bags. Only hamburger meat, huh? Then to Walmart we went. Rocco & I sat in the car again, while Mom went in for the dirt. If you are bored go people watch in the Walmart parking lot.

We finally made it home & to work we went. Here are some pics....



This is how Rocco helped. (Not Rocco's best angle, it makes him "look" fat. Remember, the camera does add 10 extra pounds)
Razzy helped us. He dug a hole on the other side of the yard. See the dirt on his nose?
We planted Big Boy, Roma & Grape tomatoes. Pominto peppers & some yellow squash. I am going to get some garlic to plant, thanks for the info everyone. :)
The original plan was to plant the garden in Mom's yard, but then we decided it would be better to do this in my fenced in backyard. We have to keep the deer out of it. Now to keep the squirrels away.
I got one of these new planter thingies. We will see how it works.

I really love succulents. And here is my newest one, it's called String of Pearls. Cool, huh?

5 comments:

  1. What is so sad is that here we set on about 3 acres of land and we have to go buy dirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I could have been a bird in a tree! What a sight ya'll must have been.
    rg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those succulents...succulicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I agree with Renee, I bet it was a site to see you two! I can only imagine, and even then it's funny. We will plant our garden in May. Its possible to still have a frost here until May. Actually I think we are to plant 6 weeks after the daisies (wild ones) come in and they just came in this week. So in 6 weeks we will start our garden.

    You may live on 3 acres of land, but its more like 2.9 acres of rocks and mountian side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what a succulent is? I'm doing Roma, Talladega and jalapenos. Spaghetti sauce and salsa on my to-make list!! (janet)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.