Friday, March 13, 2009

A "Sick" Question Of The Week

It took for forever to get out of the bed today & I tried with all my will power to make myself feel better, but it just was not happening. I cleaned the kitchen & straightened up the living room, but collapsed after that. I can not shake this mess for anything. Not being able to taste or smell has drove me nuts. D went & got pizza for supper, since it's the first day I could taste in a week. That was some good pizza too.

Being sick got me to thinking about comforts that are used to make people feel better while under the weather. For me, I like to stay in my bed & be left alone. I'm not a needy sick person. I'm not only ill physically, but in an ill mood if messed with too much. So the comfort of my bed & isolation are keys for me. Mom always made me hot tea & toast when I was sick as a kid. Since there is sweet tea in the fridge of most Southern homes. It was easy for Mom to warm some tea in the microwave, add milk & more sugar. Then serve it with 2 pieces of buttered toast. For some reason it always made me feel better. And it still does to this day.

So here is the question of the week....

What are your "comforts" when you are sick?

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you are still sick, hope by now you are on the road to recovery ya.

    For me, I've been through so many operation so just to stay in my bed with a comfortable pillow is my haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bed, blanket & pillow. Grandpa's "hot dog stew" - potatoe soup with hot dogs and a cup of tea with honey & lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like anything brothy, chicken noodle soup, or chicken and dumplings, vegetable soup. Anything hot and steamy always seems to feel good.

    Denise - what is hot dog stew?? Do you have a recipe? I'd like to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a whinny sick person.... I like to milk it. Hey I'm just being honest! LOL I LOVE cream of mushroom soup and grilled cheeses... always makes me feel better :) I also like taking hot baths/showers. My husband is very good about letting me milk it... he doesn't get annoyed... he plays along! love him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm really sick, I sleep. I like the room dark, cool, and to have blankets on top of me. If I can sit up but am still too sick to do anything, I like to have a book, a cup of peppermint tea, and quiet. I really love the quiet. I don't usually get to enjoy too many days like this. Unless, like I said before, I'm really sick and just have to sleep. (Janet) Feel better soon, I'll be thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like to be left alone. I like to lay on the couch and watch TV. If I am able to eat anything, I want french fries. I know that sounds weird, but the salty warm fries always make me feel better. Diet Coke is another must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot sweet tea with creamer and warm buttered toast. Nothing better!!
    This was passed from Mamaw to Mama, from Mama to me and then from me to you!

    Want me to bring you some hot tea and toast?

    Love ya!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert makes me homemade potato soup when I am sick. It is eapecially tasty and nourishing just after recovering from a throw up virus. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. sprite, saltines, green gatorade, bed, and to be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not remember what my comforts are. I guess just sleep. Now that I have children I don't get the luxuary of the comforts that I use to! I was sick yesterday, I was glad to be able to sleep for a hour in my own bed with a big down comforter. My goal when I am sick is to get to the doctor as fast as possible and get some kind of medicine to knock it out! Growing up mom was all about things "running its course" but now that I am an adult, I am all about trying to nip it in the bud when it begins.

    I like soup when I am sick. But nothing heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who is the green gatorade anonymous?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.