Friday, November 07, 2008

A Trunk Full Of Memories

Even though I have a list a mile long of things that need to be done around here, I decided to do something else instead. Go figure. But the cause of this detour was from doing a major clean up of our bedroom & getting my last 3 journals together to place in the trunk for safe keeping. But they wouldn't fit! So, I got D to bring out my 2 keepsake trunks to the living room & I went through all of this stuff really for the very first time. I knew basically what filled them, but I did have a few surprises. Now most of my saved things are from ages 12 through around 21. If I received a wedding, party or shower invitation, graduation announcement, Christmas or Birthday card throughout those years, I kept them! I'm have invitations to some of your get togethers from back in the day! Hahaha! I even kept pictures & cards that the kids I used to teach gave me.Why in the world did I keep some of this stuff?
I went on & let go of most of it, but chose to keep birthday cards. I have letters from friends when they moved away...Ya know? Back before e-mails were the way of communication. I love having these! It's interesting to go back & see what we talked about.
Being a pack rat can be such a curse! But it can also be a blessing, when I can go back & reminisce over something that I probably forgot about!

I took some pictures of a few things....

This trunk was my Granny's & it became my Barbie trunk when I was little...Then it became one of my keepsake trunks. I have tape on the lock since I don't have a key, I don't want it to accidentally get locked!
This trunk holds stuff mainly from my childhood/teen years. My journals live in another trunk. Check out my chalk art work on the inside of the top.

Here are some cards made for me on my 16th birthday. I wonder if the authors of these can recognize their own writing.
The first 2 are from the same person.

And then here's another card from someone else.
Inside of the card.


Here are my 37 journals on display in chronological order! Razzy is showing (standing) you my current journal.
The issue of People that came out when Lucille Ball passed away. I can remember buying this at Food World. I was 12 years old. It is a prized possession. I am very careful looking through it.
And this was a special collectors magazine that came out shortly after Lucy's passing.

Hey, Amber & Jamie, remember the story I told you about me spoiling Jamie's surprise graduation party? I found the invite! Hahahaha!

I'm telling you I have saved everything. I'm sure I have things some of you have sent that you don't even remember! I'm your own Smithsonian. Just call me the Crystalonian.

6 comments:

  1. I think the card with the clown drawn on it was from me. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Ding!*
    *Ding!*
    *Ding!*
    Jamie is correct!!!
    You gave this too me at my "surprise" 16th birthday party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm..I knew the clown card was from Jamie. The first 2???...I know I used to draw bows like that (at the bottom of the balloons), but did I make you cards? Who were they from!?!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first 2 were from you Donna! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the one that says "Happy B R i t h d a y"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaa...I kinda figured those were from me, but don't really remember making them. I do remember drawing balloons w/bows like that all the time when I was little though. Yeah, good spelling "Brithday!" haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.