Tuesday, November 04, 2008

American Pride


The first time I remember the idea of voting making an impact on me was when I went with Mom to vote for the President back in 1980 ( I think). It is in my mind so vividly... We went to a small church & the voting took place in the fellowship hall. Mom & I stepped inside the booth & pulled a curtain around us, but really around Mom, since I could stand under the curtain. And there in front of us was a thing with lots of buttons. She told me not to touch them, it was her job & when I got older it would be my job. From then on I couldn't wait to be able to step into that booth, pull that curtain closed & push buttons!

Then when in school the importance of voting became very real. Even more so knowing that I was a female & would not have been able to let my voice be heard at one time in history. Most kids can't wait to be 18 to be officially legal....I was looking forward to voting! Ha!

That first time I voted was pretty amazing, but to my disappointment, there was no booth or buttons! Just paper, but hey! It was still voting!

In 2004, D & I we stood in line for about 2 hours....There is no telling how chaotic it is going to be today. Not just at the polls but in the country. I think there is going to be some craziness take place in the next few days, with reactions to whomever our new President is going to be. I would rather McCain, just for the fact that he stands for most of the same things I do. And I vote conservatively. If Obama were conservative, I would vote for him. The color of that man's skin makes no difference to me. I know there are many people that are voting for him for that very reason. But there are also many that are not voting for him because of the same reason. Which is ludicrous either way you look at it!
But God places those in leadership that He wants to be there, so whatever the outcome, I will just have to trust the Lord & not lean on my own understanding. He knows the way things are supposed to go & I don't. It's scary, but there isn't much I can do about it, now is there?

Isaiah 14:24
24The Lord of hosts has sworn, saying, Surely, as I have thought and planned, so shall it come to pass, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand--



Isaiah 14:26-27
26This is the [Lord's] purpose that is purposed upon the whole earth and this is [His omnipotent] hand that is stretched out over all the nations.
27For the Lord of hosts has purposed, and who can annul it? And His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?



I hope you VOTE today...Honestly, there really is NO excuse not too!

6 comments:

  1. Danny and I got to the poles about 15 minutes till 7 this morning and there were around 300 people already inline. We got in line and by the time they opened the doors there were probably another 200 behind us. Once the doors opened the line moved pretty fast. We were driving away about 15 minutes till 8, so it took us an hour of waiting and voting. Better than I expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the 400th person to vote in Cahaba Heights! I was there for about 25 minutes. Not bad at all!
    -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. From start to finish, it took me 45 minutes at Concord Baptist Church in Calera.
    Prayin' my vote makes a difference,
    rg

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me about 30 minutes total. And that was with a little confusion of if I was in the correct place or not. It was resolved and I casted my vote!
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember going with my mom when I was really little! I remember the same curtian and buttons scene that you described!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I've prayed, I've asked for the Lord's will and tonight we have a new president. I will TRUST, pray more and KNOW that God is still in HIS HOLY TEMPLE today. Whatever the future holds, I'm praising HIM that HE holds the future.

    MR

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.