Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Adventures In The ER

D has been having horrible back trouble since Saturday, he apparently did something at work. Monday, he stayed home from work & we took him to the chiropractor. I say "we" because D couldn't sit in the car, so Mom took us in her SUV. She & I put a futon mattress in the back & Rocco road along for moral support. wink wink
The Dr told D he couldn't go back to work until Thursday. He was feeling a bit better on Tuesday, but today was awful. I have never seen D is so much pain. It made me feel helpless, because I couldn't do anything for him. He finally said, "Take me to the ER." So, off we went. I was thinking it being the middle of the week & late afternoon, that we wouldn't have to wait so long. When I pulled up in the parking lot, there were no parking places & I knew then we were in for the long haul.
I was in shock at how crowded the waiting room was. We were in the waiting room for 3 hours. By the time we went back, D was in tremendous pain again. The Dr finally came in & said he either has a ruptured disk or sciatica & it's pinching a nerve in the leg. It's so bad, he can't even feel his foot. They gave him an IV & loaded him up with all kinds of drugs. Which was funny, watching his eyes rolls around. And he couldn't seem to find his mouth to drink out of his water bottle. He also had a x-ray. If he's not better by Friday morning, we will need to back for him to have an MRI. We were in the ER a total of 6 hrs. Mom came up there, so D could ride in the back of her SUV & while on the way home, sitting at the red light, I noticed the Dr forgot to sign D's work excuse. I went on home, got D settled & went right back to the ER, for the Dr to fill out that form. Poor D, he hadn't eaten all day, as sure sign he was in tons of pain. I got his tummy full & he's now sound asleep. Be praying he gets better, is pain free, that he doesn't have to have an MRI & that he can return to work on Monday. Bless his heart, he's had to use his vacation time in pain.

Here are some "highlights" if that's what you want to call them from our ER trip.

~I normally read from the book I take, it was so entertaining this time, I didn't need a book. Every redneck in the county seemed to need medical attention today. Quite interesting folks.

~They said there were no beds in the entire hospital & trauma after trauma was coming in. Even the helicopter made a stop by.

~I had a nice conversation about back pain, with an elderly gentleman in the waiting room.

~The girl in the room next to us, screamed for about 30 minutes. She apparently fell out of a window & it cut a main artery.

~On the other side was a woman, who was getting her big toenail taken off. She showed me. While I was talking to her in the hall, her aunt walked up & had just been discharged from the ER as well. The woman's aunt was there also because her soon to be ex-husband beat her. The Aunt was walking with her arm close to her chest. Sad...Very sad.

~The lady that came to take D's info, was super nice. We chatted about the hicks that live in these here parts. :) She told us a few stories that were hilarious.

~When the Dr came back to see D, D was wearing a Superman shirt (of course, since that all he owns) & the Dr said that Superman wasn't supposed to be in the ER, it shows his vulnerability.

~2 people passed away in the ER, during the 6 hrs we were there. One of them, we saw the family as they came in & were just devastated. It was awful.
The other death was this sweet little old lady, that walked with a cane. We sat by her in the waiting room, when we first got there. She was so cute, her daughter bought her a Mountain Dew & the daughter couldn't open the bottle, so she asked D to open it. When the little lady took a drink she said, "That tastes like candy." She made me smile. She was so precious. It has really affected me too. She thought she had a pulled muscle in her tummy. After they got her back to her room, she was talking & fine. Her daughter left the room, to make a phone call, so she was left in the room alone. One of the receptionists happened to walk by & the little lady was dead. That quick. Her life was gone. She was fine, talking, smiling, then gone. It just breaks my heart. I'm crying as I type this. You just never know when a life will end. I sat right next to her & saw her in the last moments of her life. She doesn't know, but she surely made an impact on me. That's the thing about life, people pass us along the way, even for a second that can teach us, if we are only willing to learn. Take the time, to look at who comes across your path. It could be anyone, at anytime...Just open your eyes.

10 comments:

  1. Interesting entry. Sorry about D's back. That sucks big time.
    I liked the stories about the others in the waiting room and the "tastes like candy" lady. Bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. My last few ER visits did not bring as much excitement or sadness.

    Praying D gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were "almost" a part of the crowd in the ER @ Shelby last night! Mary Rose's husband, Teddy, cut his hand really bad at work yesterday. He went to a doctor in Calera and they called an ambulance because he was losing a lot of blood. Shelby told the ambulance driver to take him to Brookwood because they couldn't get to him. Now I know why!
    rg

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that D is in such pain - I will be praying for a complete (& quick) healing.

    Thank you for sharing the story about the lady who passed away. You are so right - you never know who will touch your heart or change your life. And on the flip side you never know how the things you say or do can affect someone else. The sad part is that most of us are so busy that we never slow down enough to notice the people around us. I know I don't - most of the time I'm too busy trying to keep up with my kids to notice much else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was crazy!! First of all, poor D- I can't imagine being in that much pain and then having to sit in the ER that long and they def. don't care till you get back there.

    Then what a sad story about the lady. I kept thinking, she has to be talking about someone else then nope she died. Sounds like a precious little lady. Did you ever hear how she died?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it funny how the small things in life... the briefest encounter... can make such a tremendous impact.
    I'm praying for D. Let me know if I can do anything! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, all that stuff about the ER sounded like a first class episode of Grey's Anatomy. I would never expect to see all that in Shelby County! I've never seen that much at the ER before- besides on TV...

    We are praying for D and you... love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was really shocked when Crystal told me that the sweet little lady had passed away. My heart goes out for her daughter who was with her losing her Mom so unexpectedly. I KNOW what that feels like. NOT GOOD!!
    I had sat beside the little lady when I first got there to be with Crystal and Daniel and struck up a short conversation. I noticed the V on at the other end of the waiting room and told Crystal that I wanted to go sit to where we could see the update on the Virginia Massacre. I looked at the little lady and her daughter and said, "I hate to leave such good company. I want to go watch the news!" She smiled at me and said,"Thank you, I understand!" Now I wish I had have stayed there beside her. She was probably one of those ANGELS that the Bible tells us could cross our paths.
    This really saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They said that they didn't know at the time, what killed the little lady.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.