Tuesday, February 20, 2007

E-mail Slacker


I know I've talked about this before, but I'm back to my evil ways. And I must make a confession once again....I'm an e-mail slacker.

I used to be the person, that as soon as I got an e-mail, I would respond to it within the day. Then over time, I began allowing myself to read the e-mail & save it for response later. This drove me crazy, so I implemented an organized file system in my inbox, for all the e-mails I needed to respond too. That lasted for a while, but we started having issues with aol & had to re-install it a few times, so it wiped out my saved e-mails & my little organized system. Now, my inbox, will become full of e-mails I need to respond too & they haunt me. So, today being a new day, I responded to all of them & I'm going to try to start fresh. I'm not sure how long it will last. But I'm going to try. One thing that is a huge pet peeve of mine is to send someone an e-mail & never get a response from them. And here I am being a hypocrite! I do respond though...eventually. How do you respond to your e-mails?

Are you a speed responder?

Do you allow a few days to pass?

What about a few weeks?

Do you ever respond?

How do you handle the stacks of e-mails that collect in your inbox?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Crystal, I am horrible at responding at emails. You probably know that first hand though. LOL! I think I actually owe you an email right now. :( Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respond as soon as I read it. But then again, I have no life hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DELETE FORWARDS! I almost NEVER open a forwarded email so if you wanna trick me than you should copy and paste it into a new email and send it. I HATE FORWARDS! I don't open emails from people I don't know. I don't open attachments b/c it takes too long to load them with my slow dial up. So the only emails that leaves me are the ones from my blog saying I have a comment. Every now and then I get a email from a friend and I respond right away. I have 2 email accounts... one I use strickly for freecycle.org and the other is for the rest. I empty my 'bulk' folder daily without ever going through it. I HATE SPAM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually respond right away- unless its something that I really need to "think" about. Or if I am in a hurry then I will reply back when I have a free moment. I am and EMAIL ADDICT. I have to check my mail about 100 x a day! I sersiouly will hit the send/recieve button over and over and over again- before leaving the computer, just in case something comes in as I walk away! I am bad. Some times I check it in the middle of the night when I get up to go to the restroom. Addict. I tell you- Its bad. I hate when I email someone a long personal email and it takes them days to reply- tell me that you got it and that you will reply later... well not you Crystal, but anyone in general. not responding to a Personal Email is worse than not commenting on a blog post.

    I am like Nicole I hate forwards,Spam, junk- but I have select few that I will read if they come from certian people. And I don't usually reply to those-

    As far as my inbox, I use outlook express. I have folders for each friend that sends me email and usually it will drop right into your folder if you mail me something- some things come in and it is set up to go right to the trash folder- so I don't have to even look at it. I do a major clean up about once a month. I get about 1,000 in my box and then I will clean them up and create folders if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate forwards & spam as well. I rarely open them. Plus you can get virus's from them. But if I ever do open one, I never respond.
    I check my e-mail constantly too.
    I agree about the personal e-mails. I've poured my heart to people before & never heard from them...Ever. It only adds to your worries. You feel let down big time. Like if you e-mail someone to pray about somehting & they never respond to it. It takes seconds to respond, even if it's a week late. Don't NOT respond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to response immediately and don't forward any 'forwards' at all.

    In fact, I usually delete 'forwards'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hit or miss. Sometimes I'm on the ball and respond relatively quickly. Other times, I go months without responding.

    If I want to write an extended response but don't have time, I try to send a quick one liner letting the sender know I got the email and will reply later.

    I also surround myself with low maintenance friends :) Most of my friends are like me...they like getting email, but they don't get their feelings hurt if I don't respond soon enough for their tastes.

    In fact, I dread it when the Hubs moves back because I won't have hardly any free time (at least initially)!! I'll really have to learn how to manage my "free" time then :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.