Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Meaning Of Family

I've been doing alot of thinking lately, but really family is something I've always thought alot about. I've been wondering just how important family is to others. There are some that when they think of family that means, aunts, uncles, cousins & cousin's cousins. They all get together often & it's one of the most special times to them. Then there are those that really only consider their immediate family to be family. And anyone else seems to fall on the waste side. Some consider spending time with family a huge inconvenience. There's also those that have "family" that are no blood relation at all & are just friends that have a bond like no other.
I'm sure we all fit into one of those categories. For me, I'm the first one. I look forward to my family gatherings, with my aunts, uncles & cousins. They are hugely important to me & seem to be more so the older I get.
We all have family members that, we don't get along with. Or we would rather not have to spend much time with. Maybe because of their attitude. Possibly they aren't what you want them to be. But have you ever looked at who are to see if just maybe you aren't to them what you need to be?
There are countless people that walk this earth daily, that would long to have a family. Would give anything to get a hug from an Aunt. To eat some of Grandma's pumpkin pie. To live, love & laugh with others.
I challenge each & everyone of us, to step back & take a long look at our families. Don't judge...Accept. Don't see the negative....See the good( even if it's difficult to find). Make memories, because you just never know when there will be no more memories to make. Why are we so quick to show compassion to a stranger, but push away & judge our family the harshest? Think about.

5 comments:

  1. When it comes to certain people in my family, what gets me to keep moving foward is- It could ALWAYS be worse. I have also accepted in 2006 that sometimes it's not worth the fight of trying to change someone when you are spending all your time trying. Take what time you have left and accept who they are and move along- otherwise it will engulf you and you waste what could be time to make some good memories- if not for you, for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year one of my New Year's commitments was to get closer to my family members in Texas. I worked hard at it, too. I now call my mother at least twice a week to talk about nothing, and my sister and nieces and I email back and forth regularly. While our beliefs and ideals may not completely mesh, we're here for each other through rough times. That's what family is about. Being there for each other, regardless. As we have unfortunately experienced in the past, you never know when you might lose someone. Make the most of the time you have. I do have people in my life that are not related by blood, that I consider my family. It's not the blood that ties you to others, it's the heart and soul. (Janet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Family can be such a hard thing to deal with sometimes. It's something that I've struggled with a lot in the past. I find myself continually thinking on 1 Peter 4:8, especially around family gathering times..."Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins" I just have to love them.

    Love them, even when I don't agree with them. Love them, when they say or do something that hurts me. Love them...love them...love them...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.