Monday, September 04, 2006

The Crocodile Hunter


At 11am today, the 4th September 2006, Steve Irwin was fatally wounded by a stingray barb to his heart whilst filming a sequence on Batt Reef off Port Douglas for his daughter’s new TV series.
Emergency services were called from Cairns Rescue Base and met Croc One, Steve’s rescue vessel at Low Isle on the Great Barrier Reef.
The Croc One crew performed constant CPR during the thirty minute dash to Low Isle, but the medical staff pronounced Steve dead at approx. 12 noon.

His producer and closest friend, John Stainton said on Croc One today,
“The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest Dads on the planet. He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!”



What a sad day...All I can think about is his family.

14 comments:

  1. It is a tragedy for his family but somehow it seems an apt way for him to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I have been so sad all morning! I watch him all the time & we are always talking like him around the house!

    SAD! SAD! SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Thats terrible- his family must be in shock.

    My hubby is on a plane on his way back to Omaha and he's going to be crushed when he calls me and I have to break the news. He's a big Croc fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard this today on the radio & was shocked. We watch him all the time, my kids love him. I am like you, I just keep thinking about his family. His kids are close to the ages of mine, and I could not imagine what that must be like for them...and also for his poor wife. Such a sad day. =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby was home today (Labor Day) and our mouths just dropped open when we saw this. Neither of us could believe what we were hearing.

    I just feel really sad for his poor family. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it ironic that he died this way? After all the times in the past of having "near misses" with the crocs and then something so unlikely happens. I read that stingrays hardly ever use those tails/barbs of theirs, and that this was a real fluke. Don't you think he would rather have gone this way, though, than be sick and linger?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea- Lee told me last night when we were going to bed (sun. night)and his wife hadn't even heard yet. But I didn't know it was something for "his daughter's show" (did I misread that) because if so she will spend the rest of her life wondering if he wouldn't of been doing that for her would he still be here.....that is TOUGH and terribly sad!! It just makes you sick to your stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Mel. I thought the same thing about him working on the show for his little girl and how that may affect her. This is so very sad!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel...I said the same exact thing to D during supper tonight. That is going to scare that poor child. I seriously have been sad about this all day. And during the news tonight I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad! I feel for that family. Also, my husband knows how those stringrays can hurt. He got one thru his ankle. He couldn't believe it when he heard it went to his heart. That family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so sad. I've been thinking about his family all day too. Tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal Australia is in total Shock. He really touched all our hearts. Thankyou so much for a lovely post. Its nice to see the love for him all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Larry King had on an old interview with him last night. I watched a bit and then couldn't take it any more. So so sad. He really seemed like such a great guy. Jen C

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know. I just can't believe it. It is soo sad. I just keep thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.