Thursday, August 31, 2006

The People's Princess






It was 9 years ago today that the world lost an incredible woman...The People's Princess...Princess Diana.

I remember that day, like it was yesterday. I was in Masters Commission (for those that don't know, it is a ministry program), one of my roommates woke me up & said that Mom had called to tell me that "some" Princess had died. I couldn't think of what Mom could be talking about, so I went straight to the phone. I honestly couldn't believe it Mom told me that it was Princess Diana. When I finished talking to Mom, my roommate asked me what Princess died. I told her & she didn't even know who Diana was....I was in shock. How could someone not know about her? I seriously mourned for about 2 weeks. It was so terribly sad. I didn't have access to a TV were I lived, so I wasn't able to watch all the coverage of the funeral & such, so it was even harder to digest.

Princess Diana wasn't just some celebrity to me. I had fallen in love with her, when I was very small & watched her wedding to Charles. Any time a magazine had her on the cover I had to get it. I read the books about her & took in any picture of her I could find. And every TV movie dedicated to her was a must see. Next to Lucille Ball she is my all time favorite 'celeb' person. I always dreamed of meeting Diana, but not just meeting her, but becoming her friend. Not in a weird obsessed kinda fan way though. When I became a Christian, my heart went out to her, I prayed for her. I wanted to see her happy. Her death was such a tragic one. She was only 36 & had so much more of life to live. She had so much more to give this world. She is truly missed.

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same as you about Princess Diana. I will never forget waking up that Sunday morning in disbelief. I would love to go to England and visit the
    place where she is buried. It's on a little island at a lake . I forget the name of it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. She has always fascinated me and still does.

    She was a true Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was eating at the Shoneys in Auburn when a friend of my boyfriend's told us that "Princess Di was in a bad car crash." Didn't think anything about it until I woke up that next morning to the news. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember it well also...

    It was so tragic. Now she is an ageless icon.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That time has stuck with me for a long time because I too was in that ministry program ;) & I will never forget the first Sunday after it happened. A pastor stood up in front of the church and said 2 very important people died this last week, Mother Teresa and Princess Diana....both standing in front of God and one will spend eternity in heaven and one in hell- I just about fell in the floor!!! Some people SERIOUSLY need a lesson in GRACE and who holds JUDGEMENT!! Nothing like trying to SCARE people into following Jesus. Without grace we are nothing. She did touch a lot of people's lives through her storm (pain).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally remember that Mel & it made me so sick to my stomach. I was actually thinking about that as I wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.