Monday, July 17, 2006

Letting Go...Why Is it So Tough?

I'm such a pack rat. It's so hard for me to let go of things. I'm a sentimental person & I have an emotional attachment too everything. I'm serious....Everything! I have been needing to throw away my old make-up for a really long time, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I got alot of this make-up from my Lancome days. That was in 2000....LOL Plus I had a friend that worked at Smashbox & she would give me freebies. And of course most was purchased with my own mullah.
I made a list of things I needed to organize the other day & I added this feet to my list. I was not looking forward to it either. So, instead of thinking too much about it, I grabbed my big bag & went to town. I ended up throwing away 2 Wal-mart bags of make-up. Oh, my goodness it was so difficult....I literally cried!!! But it was needed, this stuff was very old & some even was crusted over. Not good, ya know? But I did feel a since of freedom dropping the bags into the garbage can outside. What? Who am I kidding? I'm having to make myself stay in the house, so I don't go get it back out of the can! There's that shade of red lipstick that matched my kool-aid red hair perfectly. The eyeliner & blush I bought to do the make-up at a friends wedding. My favorite plum eyeshadow that......OK....Hush....If anyone tells me that it was OK to keep it now, I'm gonna slap you!
A drawer full.
From a bag of stuff.
From the huge bag.

Here's my cleaned out & extremely light I may add, make-box case.

17 comments:

  1. I think you did well and way to go....got to get rid of them otherwise if you use them, it might damage your skin so it is no good and right choice to do what you've just did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel good about it because I have read numerous times that lots o'bacteria collects in old makeup. They always say you shouldn't keep makeup more than sixth months. Who "they" are and why we should trust "them" is beyond me, but still- good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, ditto to what they said!!! Great Job girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had to clean out from under the bathroom sink when we moved... some of stuff had hardly been used but I knew I wouldn't use it. I had all sorts of expensive hair products and a bezillion different kinds of smelly lotions... but i just don't use it so i got rid of a big ole garbage of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya done gooood!

    *That's how they say it in these parts*

    ReplyDelete
  6. please tell me how you've got your blog to look like this. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same problem. I really need to clean out my closet and also my makeup drawer, but alas I end up with very little to throw away because "I still wear that" or "Blue eye shadow can still be worn"

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did good! It is so hard for me too - and I hang onto everything - including post it notes with random information *I might need this* or so I think..really silly. Anyway, good for you in getting rid of the makeup - really, that stuff gets old and it can hold infections and such too so you did a good thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been doing the same recently myself - though I don't have near the same amount that you do (did?). It was kind of sad, but some things were just so old that they had to go. And since I've simplified my makeup to a 5 minute process since having the kids, all the extras that I've had for years really weren't needed anymore.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to link to my recipe blog if you like - I really need to update it more frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIRL!! You STILL have more make-up than I've ever had!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMIGOSH! That hurt! That was painful to see. We should have done a trade with the "sanitizable" items. Hehehe.. I'm still gonna do that post on my makeup case. It's one of those big aluminum 24" tall wheeled things. The Behemoth, I call it...Not for the faint of heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why heck!! Why didn't you put all that on FREECYCLE!!! That girl that wants someone to give her that whole pig for her husbands 21st birthday, big enough to feed 30 guest could probably have used it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO I feel for you but when I read it I saw something totally different. I didn't feel bad because you held onto it because you might find a way to use it again but because I get emotionally attached to my stuff. I have a memory with everything and I feel if I get rid of it I will lose that memory. I cry at the thought of getting rid of a pair of 10 year old jeans (size 0)uh huh- sure..those will fit again!!) so needless to say I have storage boxes of things I will never use again but will one day get to go through them and remember something from them but with my luck I will have alzheimer's and not even remember whos they were :)

    I promise I will post my challenge tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
    »

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a pack rat too! LOL My husband tells me that all of the time...which I am doing better...I don't keep EVERYTHING anymore! LOL

    (BTW...this is Jessica from http://jessicaslilcorner.tz4.com but use the http://dhost.info/jessicascorner/wordpress for now until I get the first one to do what I need for it to do LOL)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.