Monday, June 19, 2006

A Little Bit More Excitement

Well, we couldn't let Sunday go by, without some fun, now could we?

The other day, some milk boiled over into the stove. I had forgotten about it, so I hadn't cleaned it.
Not a good thing...I had put some water on to boil & D & were sitting on the couches watching TV. When D all of a sudden jumps up, curses & runs to the kitchen. He never says bad words, so I was wondering what the heck was going on. I turned & saw flames shooting up from the stove!!! I ran over too, as D was grabbing a cup to fill it with water. I told him no water, it will cause an electrical fire!!! I had a whole bag of flour sitting on the counter from the baking I did yesterday, so I dumped the whole thing onto the flames. It worked. I couldn't remember if it was flour or what you are supposed to use. But now I know Baking Soda or a lid, to smother the flame.
Thankfully everything is fine. We had a huge mess to clean up, but I would rather clean up a mess than deal with a damage from a fire anyday.

9 comments:

  1. Well, now we know flour works too.

    Crystal! That is just a little too close for comfort. SHISH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Well done and quick thinking...now I know what to do too....standby those flour :P

    Glad everything is fine now and we've learnt something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That had to get your hearts a pumpin'! I'm glad that you were able to get it out quickly.

    Thanks for sharing that the dried milk would catch on fire like that if left in the burner. I didn't realize that either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats is scary!

    You have posted a lot this weekend. I had a lot of reading to do this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had that happen before and it is WAY scary. I don't remember what we did, it was 10 years ago when we first got married. I'm glad yours turned out OK!! I bet that was a mess to clean up huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, at least you was level headed and didn't panic. I still haven't found out the cause of my fire in the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh...that just happened over here like 3 hours ago! It wasn't milk, but it was something that had gotten under the burner. I was double boiling to melt cheese for Rotel and BayouBoy asked me why black things (ashes!!!) were floating around the stove. I looked at the burner and there was a flame! It was a small flame, so I blew it out (which was probably dumb, but worked). I was explaining to him that you never pour water on an electric stove...but couldn't remember if if was baking soda or flour you should pour over a fire to smother it. (Now I know that either one will work). The last time this happened, I just beat down the flames with a towel. I do have a fire extinguisher...but kind of wonder if I'd be composed enough to use it in the event of a bigger fire.

    Sorry I wrote so much. Kudos to you for keeping your cool in spite of the heat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.