Tuesday, June 27, 2006

“If Only”

I just read my daily devotion & I had to share it!


John 4:39, “He told me everything I ever did.” (NIV)

The woman at the well; look her up in the dictionary and you’ll find a picture of me. We all have labels we dislike: addict, unfit, shy, stuck-up, party girl, fat, arrogant, stupid, unproductive, quitter, alcoholic, cheapskate, unworthy. Mine was “the woman at the well.”

Who was this woman? If you are not familiar with her story, pause to read John 4:1-30. What was her background? We don’t have details but we can be sure that her misdirected life didn’t happen all at once. It was achieved by believing and acting on one lie at a time. This woman was on a desperate journey to find herself and her worth through men.

An encounter at a well between her and Jesus brought two lives together and changed one forever. Through Jesus she found the love and worth she desperately desired – just as I did. Her story delivers hope when divorce is claiming over two million victims each year, leaving broken lives and aching hearts in its wake.

I suspect this woman had been suffering from the “If Only” disease; the questioning of her life that causes her ‘dis’ (the absence or reversal of) ‘ease’ (freedom). “If only I hadn’t made that wrong decision;” “if only I had married a man who found value in me;” “if only my children would show me respect;” “if only my parents were different;” if only…if only…if only.

Last week I spoke to a group of 100 women; 90 of them told me they felt unworthy, unloved and unimportant in the scheme of life. It breaks my heart to hear this because I once believed this lie too. I tried to find my worth in love; love from a man, love from my children, love from my friends, not realizing the love of God was freely offered me and would satisfy.

Life can be a monotonous pattern. We continue to do the same thing over and over and over again. Though we may find temporary satisfaction, we will get thirsty again. We will keep trying to quench our thirst with a different man, a better job, a bigger house, another drink.

We live in a hurting world. Haunting choices from the past linger in our lives and prevent us from being all that God intends for us to be. Baggage doesn’t have to be a reality in your life. God longs to give you an abundant life. . . if only you will accept His life-giving water and leave your drought in the dust.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I needed to hear this more than anything today. Thank you Jesus for allowing this to be the day that, this was the devotion to appear in my inbox. I am so guilty of the "If only's".
If only...I had said this.
If only...I had done that.
If only...I had this in my life.
If only...If only...If only....
What a mind game we play with ourselves. Constantly thinking of what would have been, could have been, should have been & not taking in the abundance of goodness right in front of our eyes.

Lord,
Allow me to fully see all the amazing things you have set before me, around me. You have given me more than I could imagine possible. And I need to be OK with that. I need to be secure in Your overwhelming love. I need to remember that The past is the past & can't be changed. That the future is the future & it will happen the way it's supposed too. And I need to live each day as it's own & enjoy every minute of it. Not living in the past, not dreaming of the future, but living completely in the present.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME post, Crystal!! Love ya, MOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this same devotional in my email box today and I thought of you.

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great devo.....you and Jamie are right on it! Thanks for sharing....something else I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.