Today was a day I will never forget, because it was a day of significance in my spiritual journey with the Lord.
I'm going to open my heart & be completely honest here, not that I'm not normally. But this is very personal & will be difficult for me to share at times. Here goes.....
I have really been unchurched since 1999. The reason? The list would take to long to write, but there were different situations & circumstances beyond my control & lots of excuses mixed in between. Times when I was able to go, I just didn't. I had no real desire. During this time, I allowed bitterness to seep into my heart. That's really hard for me to admit, but it's the truth. I talked about it in a previous post, October 12th titled "Changes." But I allowed others experiences effect me. Others pain, become my pain. I said this before, I have had to take myself out of the equation. I never realized how powerful bitterness is. I became bitter over 1 thing & it drowned so many other areas of my life. It clouded my vision to where I couldn't see anything clearly. I didn't realize just how bitter I was, either. But that's how bitterness works. I see it as a disease that comes in & takes over, tangling itself around every part of your insides. It's nasty.
When D & I moved back to Bama 2 years ago, I really wanted to get involved in a church. We visited a few places, but nothing really felt quite right. We weren't looking for the 'perfect' church, but we were looking for the 'perfect' church for us. In our almost 6 years of marriage we have never really worshiped in the house of the Lord as Husband & Wife. Isn't that awful? Can you imagine? 2 people who were in the ministry not even in church....Crazy! Anyway, Keith told me awhile back about praying in details. So, I started working on a detailed prayer list. And on it was for us to find a church.
I grew up at Kingwood A/G. I went there from the time I was 3 yrs old, until I was 23, spent 2 years in MC there & it was my 2nd home. I was there for every activity & every time the doors were open. But things began to happen there, with peoples lives & I became very bitter towards that church & the people there. I even said I would never step foot back into that church.
Well, when I began my detailed prayer list, every time I would pray about a church for us, Kingwood would always come up. I would push that thought away real quick. I was also praying that if I had any bitterness in my heart for the Lord to reveal it to me. And He did. I went to someone that I had held ALOT of resentment towards & told them. Once I did that the scales that had covered my eyes for so long, began to fall away. I began to see things in a different light. The hard edges were becoming soft & smooth. God layed Kingwood on my heart very heavily after that. I prayed alot about it. And it wasn't a decision that I took very lightly. And the Sunday before I went to Texas, we were going to go to Kingwood, but I got food poisoning, so we stayed home. But I believe everything happens for a reason & that day was not my time yet. In Texas God whispered some small things to me. And I found myself looking forward to actually going to church.
I got up this morning to get ready & there was an incredible peace surrounding me. I am normally nervous & jaded when I go to Kingwood. But not this time. When the service began, it was the most amazing feeling. It felt like going home. For the first time in 6 years, I have felt whole...Complete. I was emotional throughout the service, but I didn't know what awaited me tonight.
It wasn't a normal service. They did a thing called 'Prayer Quest', were rooms in the church were set up with different themes. Like, marriage, Missions, hurricane Relief & America. And they gave us a guide to know where everything is & the whole church went into the rooms they wanted & prayed over these things. It was awesome. Well, there was a room set up for Masters Commission. D & I went straight there. I was overwhelmed by that room. They had all kind of things listed on the walls to pray for & in the center of the room was a table with every name of every person who has walked through the MC doors at BMMC. I lost it when I saw that. How amazing it is to know that we are all being prayed for & we are all loved, even though we don't always feel it.
God reminded me that this exact time 13 years ago, I sat alone in my bedroom, hurting, on the verge of ending my own life , crying out for help & He answered. I gave my heart to him on October 25th, 1992. Here I am today, not born again, not rededicated, but RENEWED. I have come home....Kingwood is my church & that's where I plan to stay, unless the Lord decides to move me. Kingwood isn't for everyone & is not a 'perfect' church , there isn't such a thing here on earth, but it's the place for D & I. It felt so comforting to sit in a pew with my beloved husband & worship with him. I look forward to experiencing this new journey with D. This is a place we have never been before. This is actually a dream come true for me. Some of those detailed prayers have definitely been answered today.
I sure this will shock some of people. Especially the ones that knew just how jaded I was towards that church. But all I know is, if the Lord can take someone like me, who has had a disgusting, vile mindset about things & change me. And for me to call Kingwood home again. God can do anything! Believe me. Nothing is impossible with Him.
Create in me a pure heart, O God
And RENEW a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalms 51:10

Welcome home.
ReplyDeleteI love you,
rg
Wow, Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome Crystal!
ReplyDeleteOur God is an AWESOME God!!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, you made me cry! But that's okay because they were tears of joy! Isn't it wonderful to have that craving be so strong that you just can't wait to get to church! Praise the Lord! He is good! Love ya! dd
ReplyDelete