What an Amazing day this has been!
I, of course was watching the news coverage, just as I have done since Wednesday. I called Mom, while I was painting my nails & she tells me about her morning refer to her blog for full story. Within 2 hours I was at Wal-mart helping buy stuff for Mrs. Bessie, a lady who's husband, James is in the hospital. They were evacuated from New Orleans.
After we got the stuff together with help from Betty & Faith, Mom & I took it to the hospital. What a precious little lady Mrs. Bessie is. And what a story she has! So, heartbreaking. But she was smiling tonight. I was tearing up just talking to her. Mom asked her what kinda Bible she liked to read (because we wanted to know, so we can get her one) & she was telling us, then she stopped & said, "Oh, that reminds me! Of the Bible we've had since 1969. It was so special & has the most beautiful pictures. I took it & put it on the bed with our wedding pictures......" And then she was silent for a few seconds. She doesn't know, if she will ever see that Bible & her wedding pictures ever again. She doesn't even know if her home survived. Her daughter & grand-daughter were taken to Dallas & she is here with her husband.
Sitting in front of the TV & seeing these beautiful people go through such a horrific tragedy is one thing. But to actually come face to face with one of these survivors is so touching. To look into their eyes, to touch their skin, see their hurt, but also a glimpse of hope. Is something we all need to do. If you have set their wondering 'what can I do'. Then do something! There are NO excuses. There will be more people being brought to Shelby Medical Center tomorrow. There are several hundred at the BJCC. There are at least 30 in Oneonta at Michael's (read his story) church. There are some at UAB. Call around, ask what can be done. This is not a time to sit idly by & allow others to do the task at hand. We that are Christian BETTER step up.

Its good that you guys are so close. They don't have a lot of relief efforts here, but I did find out about today thats in Seguin. Many people are going to just start living here, and just not return home. They are getting them into apartments and helping to start a new life. So sad though-I am trying to do what I can to help- In hopes that someone will exchange do something for our family down there since we can't get down there ourselves to help. Thank you for all you are doing-
ReplyDelete