Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Condition of the Heart

I have really been listening to God, really listening. Really speaking to Him. And not the normal get me through the day kinda prayers. He has been speaking to me more now that he has in years. Not because He wasn't trying. I have kept my heart so guarded. And I'm really not sure why.But the thing is, I didn't realize to what extent I was protecting it. Not that I wasn't living 'right' or anything. I had just allowed things to cloud my vision, because of this I became cynical at times. Judging others. Sometimes rather harshly. At times I would maybe tell say what I thought about others & situations & other time I would keep those thought to myself.
Something God has really been speaking to me is that you don't know the condition of some ones heart. Only He does. You have no clue, what God has done in their life. Change sometimes takes a really long time to take place. But then sometimes it is instantly. You never what God is speaking into their heart, when their head hits the pillow at night. When they are driving to work, in the shower, sitting in church, dealing with stress. When God does something, in the inmost workings of someone's heart, they aren't necessarily going to shout it from the roof tops. They will allow the change to take place & continue to walk ahead. I know when I used to hear of someone passing away & I didn't think they were a Christian , I used to think, "hmmm, I bet they went to hell." Isn't that awful that I would think that? But who am I to think that kinda thing? I don't know what type of change took place in that person. They may have cried out to the Lord moments before their death. Or maybe something took place in their heart a week before. Someone can say or do something today, but the Lord gets ahold of them & they make changes in the way they handle things tomorrow. The thing is, you never know. Who am I too judge? I keep hearing people say, "we need to be Christ-like" or "what would Jesus do?" Shouldn't we be saying "what DID Jesus do?" What DID he do? Think about that a minute...He loved unconditionally. He loved those that no one would even dare look at. When people messed up, he loved them anyway. Unconditional means: not conditional or limited, absolute, surrender. It is so hard to be like HIM, non-judgemental & to love unconditionally. We can try too, but we will never master it. Shouldn't we give the same grace to others that has been bestowed on us?
We constantly judge each other by things we have said or have done. But do we ever stop to think, that people change. We never give anyone the benefit of the doubt. We immediately judge them by their old actions. Aren't we a new creation in Christ? When we give our hearts to the Lord, it isn't always an instant miraculous event. We aren't instantly this mature Christian. We are constantly evolving. I have be a born again Christian for 13 years & through those years, I've had my ups & my downs. My valleys & my mountain tops. There are times when I have grown so much & times when I have become stagnant. Times when I have longed for the Lord & times when I have pushed him away. Times when I have handled things in a Godly manner & times that I am ashamed of.
We are always assuming we know people. You never really know what people are capable of. You never know what's going on in their hearts & minds. Like when we are hurt, we say or do things very harshly. Emotions get involved & we can fly off the handle. But does that mean we feel that way all the time? Why are we always judging & never accepting? I am so guilty of these things. I know at times, I say things & as they are coming out of my mouth, God is already dealing with me. And I'm thinking, "Why the heck did I just say that?"
I have done majorly stupid things in the my life & still do them. I have said some awful things. I have had resentment towards people & situations. But I began to pray awhile back that any resentment & bitterness I had in my heart that God would show me. That I would truly forgive. I may not forget, but at least I would make peace. Sometimes we hold onto the things so long we forget they are there. God has been pulling things out of me. Things that are ugly. And it has been painful. But I feel so much better. I am learning how to handle things differently now. When I get upset, instead of immediately taking action. I am trying to step back & allow God to do His work. But believe me, it is so difficult to give Him control...lol. I have learned & am learning that I don't know what's best for me. But He does. He has a plan. He knows the future. And I'm sure he gets tired of having to clean up my messes. I would rather, follow Him into situations, than have to cry for help after the fact. Don't get me wrong of course, I ain't gonna be perfect when it comes to this stuff. Sometimes the flesh takes control & I don't stop it. But I want to allow the Spirit to lead me. I want to listen to Him.

Sorry this post is super long, I just wanted to share what is going on inside of me Spiritually. Thanks for reading. :)


4 comments:

  1. FYI - I linked to your post from the third edition of the Carnival of Healing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal...

    I had the most interesting thing happen the other day. My ex has always told his family about how 'bad' I am and that I 'took the kids away' from him and all that, so that way he looks good to them. Interestingly, his sister even says he's nuts, cuz I didn't steal the kids away in the middle of the night, I have never hid where I live, I've always given phone numbers to reach them and me, and when his family comes to visit I always make sure the kids get to see the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Well, anyway, Grandpa lost his wife 1 1/2 years ago, and he found someone else to marry rather soon. She and I have never met. Well, I called there the other day to talk to Grandpa about the kids, and she and I had a great chat. Here is what I got in an email from her the next day...

    "I sure enjoyed our conversation. O that I could have the same experience with all the family. I sure can appreciate the principal of not gossiping more fully now. The harm a negative comment can make prior to meeting an individual is unbelieveable. No matter how much you try to share the truth it can't erase the orginal preception given by the gossiper. A hard lesson to learn."

    I realized that I was the one she was refering to as the one that had been spoken negatively about, which really isn't fair to the kids...I am their mother. So, your post is a good one indeed...we need to not judge others, and even more importantly, we need to never compare ourselves to someone else. I am me, that's it, and I can only compare myself to me...good and bad, how I've changed, improved, worsened, etc. Someone else will always be better or worse than me in some area or another, so I can't compare myself to that.

    Stepping off soap box now....LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Amen, Amen. God is good all of the time and all the time God is good. Jesus loves us this I know for the bible tells us so.....Yes, Jesus loves me! Thank you Holy Spirit for reaching out, through, and upon "Pink Lucy" to me (calmonespirit) with her testimony to make me stronger in my faith in you. Amen. God Bless you Pink Lucy, keep shining the light of Jesus in this darkened world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to let me know who you are. Anonymous comments without a signature are deleted.